Class Instructor (Summer Camps)
Happy Hollow Park and Zoo is currently recruiting enthusiastic and experienced individuals for the position of Class Instructor – Summer Camps, with the possibility of extension to include sleepovers and other educational programs on an “as-needed” basis throughout the year.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work in a fast paced environment.
- At least one year of teaching experience, in formal or informal settings.
- Experience delivering developmentally appropriate, engaging presentations to a variety of audiences.
- Prior animal handling experience of both domestic and exotic species, including but not limited to reptiles, invertebrates, mammals and birds.
- Ability to lift over 50 lbs.
- Availability to work weekday, overnight, special event, and other irregular hours in support of programmatic needs.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing engaging and educational presentations to a variety of audiences that incorporate conservation messaging.
- Instructing camps and other educational classes using prepared written curriculum, that include crafts, outdoor learning, and other hands-on activities.
- Safely handling a variety of domestic and exotic animals, based on formal animal handling protocols and in the best interest of animal welfare.
- Coordinating daily activities with all departments at the Park and Zoo to support camp programs.
- Effectively communicating with the education team, volunteers, and other Park and Zoo staff.
- Supervising adolescent and adult volunteers to ensure the safety of all guests.
If interested, please include all relevant paid and unpaid work experience with your application for the Class Instructor (PT Un-Benefited) position, as posted on the City of San Jose Human Resources website (last position on the page of All Job Openings). All applications must be received by Wednesday, February 24, 2016 for full consideration. This position is covered by the City of San Jose Living Wage ($19.57/hr) and subject to all posted minimum requirements.
Tip for completing a City of San Jose job application:
- Fill in all of the application information.
- Use the “Save Draft” button every 5 minutes to save your application information. This prevents you from being logged out of the site while you are filling out your application and losing your data.
- Copy and paste your answers to a separate document (i.e. Microsoft Word file) to avoid losing them if your application does not save correctly.
- When you are finished filling out the application, click “Submit” at the bottom of the page.
- Follow the instructions to add demographic information and click “Submit”.
- Go back to “My Career Tools” and double check to see if the application has an “Applied” status.